Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Problem with Some Teeth!

I know I have bitched and bitched about pain. It is my constant companion, but there is something else that seems to go along with aging that is driving me nuts-my teeth!

When I retired it was impossible to keep my dental insurance. The cost was ridiculous. Last year when insurance election time rolled around, there to my amazement was affordable dental insurance. The timing was perfect. I’d paid the full price to have a couple of teeth extracted the year before and knew that I had some other problems brewing. Instead of going in for an exam and planning the work, I just went to the dentist for emergencies. My dentist stopped me during one appointment where I supposed to have another extraction and wanted to do a comprehensive exam. I got really pissed, but after thinking about what she had suggested, I went back. After having the exam, she recommended 5 root canals, plus some fillings. I refused the root canals. To have one performed would cost me about $600 per tooth. That’s only the first part. Then the tooth has to be crowned which would cost another $600 per tooth. I’ve gotten decay under a crown before and the tooth ended up being removed, so why would I pay $6000 to risk that? To have the teeth extracted is about $130 per tooth and 2 partial plates around $1000. Which way would you go?

Now I’ve had 7 teeth removed since October. I have 4 molars left and none of them mesh. I have to chew with my front teeth. I brush them about 5 or 6 times a day! I want an apple so badly! I want steak! Everything I eat is liquid or soft.

I decided enough healing; I am ready for the partial plates. I called to make the appointment and they tried to schedule me for fillings. I told them my priority is to get some teeth back in my mouth, and then I will get the fillings. I just hope we don’t get into an argument when I go in.

I am a little worried about getting used to the dentures. I will probably be biting the inside of my mouth for weeks. I just can’t image what it will be like to have the roof of my mouth covered. I shouldn’t be concerned. My one sister has had full dentures since the age of 31. The other sister, ‘Z’ had an upper partial plate. I think part of the reason she got it was to correct her overbite and close the gap in her front teeth. Boy was she pissed when her new teeth had a gap! It wasn’t as big as the one in her real teeth, but she felt she deserved a perfect smile. She also had a hypersensitive gag reflex, but the dentures never seemed to bother her. So all of my worries should be allayed, but if I didn’t have something to worry about, what would I do all day?

No comments: